Links to EDA Software
CAD Design Software's Third Party Interfaces are available to export a design created in EPD or an intelligized DXF/DWG design that was made with EPD tools to be exported. These links have been developed and tested in cooperation with leading design and packaging companies to be current and adapted to emerging technologies.
The BS2EPD is an add-on module that Import Mentor® Board Station designs needing manufacture (DFM) capabilities into one of our Design Suites. After importing the design data to usable vector artwork in EPD, the layout can be updated and modified.
- Import Mentor design files (Neutral file, Trace file)
- Imported design data can be updated / modified with EPD tools
- Creates DXF/DWG format
- Update Parts or add new parts from EPD library
- Generate Netlist / compare to a reference Netlist
- Trace Route Editing tools
- Create Gerber Files
The EPD2PADS 3rd party link is an add-on module that outputs an .ASC file made from one of our Designer Suites to be further processed in Power PCB.
- Exports EPD layout designs to a PADS neutral format
- Works with FEA/Thermal Analysis routines in PADS
- Enables use of auto router in Power PCB
If the finished routed design needs to be returned to EPD, or to import a PADS format one can use the PADS2EPD module which is also available separately.
The PADS2EPD 3rd party link is an add-on module that reads in an .ASC file to be used in one of our Designer Suites.
- Converts the named levels/layers to EPD standard layers
- Creates standard intelligent EPD component blocks
- Converts Traces to LW or CDS polylines and places on EPD standard Trace / TRA-* layer(s)
- Translates the definition of a plane boundary to use the Hatch method in EPD
May be used in conjunction with the EPD2PADS module which is also available separately.
The EPD2SKL 3rd party link is an add-on module that exports an intelligent design created in EPD by using the design process from one of our Designer Suites. After the layout has been created from scratch or re-intelligized from DXF/DWG files, the design layout will include embedded attributes such as Material and Net information.
The EPD environment was created by experienced designers for today’s time pressed designers and complements the APD tool set. The benefit to our customers is an advanced tool set that forms a complete solution. Now, use the best functions of both EPD and APD together for a best-in-class tool set.
- Layouts completed in CDS's Electronics Packaging Designer (EPD) tools can now be exported for reading into the industry-standard Cadence® APD environment
- Intelligization of unintelligent AutoCAD DWG and DXF designs and bring them into the Cadence design environment in a format that that can be immediately utilized without additional prep work
- Advanced true 3D modeling of packages in EPD with 2.5 D (two and half dimension) representation inside APD/ SiP
- Clean up old Lead Frame drawings using Clean Up and Auto-Joining functions. This involves using EPD commands to remove overlapping portions of lines and auto joining lines that have miniscule breaks
- Finished design has embedded attribute now ready for Die and Wire placement
- Create Dies and Wire Bonds to be placed with Intelligent Lead Frame to create Signal Nets material information, and pre-determined lengths
- Wire bonding may be initialized from a fixed netlist or imported from another EDA system or automatically created by optimizing the connections to keep them short
- The Design can now be captured for net connections and the captured Netlist can be saved. If a reference netlist is available, the design can also be compared with the reference netlist
- Add / Create Bond or Tack points before export. Add up to 3 Points with Accurate control including Offset; Distance to Tips, assign for DAP, Ground Rings and Power Bars
- Check Design Rule Clearances (ADRC) using Library of over 150+ custom rules and infinitely configurable standard rules which can be enhanced by adding your custom requirements for Complex Geometric Relationship Design Rule Checking
- Export the final design that has been made intelligent, assigned Material Stackup information for 3D model, Captured Netlist, Tack points, DRC verified into a SKL file format Some options include; Select APD or SiP Version output format, set up custom layer mappings
- *The Stackup and Material information set in the EPD drawing will allow viewing of the 3D information using the 3D Viewer in Cadence
Stack Up Settings Include:
- Set Material type for each layer/level in the stack up (i.e. Bond wire, Mask, Top, Dielectric, Bottom side)
- Use Standard provided Material types or create your own using our Material Editor and save the Material information to an XML file to be used again
- Set the Thickness for the height on each level.* Set Positive and Negative material thickness tolerances
- Dielectric constant of the material
- Resistivity of the assigned material
- Permeability of the assigned material
- Loss Tangent of the assigned material
- Thermal conductivity of the assigned material
The DSN2EPD 3rd party link module is the bridge between the Cadence APD and SiP design environment and EPD Design Suites. Designs created in Cadence can be imported. This enables import of data for partner companies that may not have access to APD or SiP software. Once data has been imported into the EPD design environment, use EPD tools to edit, modify, update, DRC and export to Gerber or GDS.
- Import Design layout standard objects:
- Trace Routes Data
- Plane Outlines and Hatches
- Net list information
- Layer Names
- 3D Bond wires
- Material Information
- Substrate Vias
- Import die(s) information and geometry
- Import Component Outlines*
- Exported data from:
- Technology (.tech) file
- Drill file (.drl) file
- DXF file
- Color Definition File (.clf)
The EPD to Allegro Router 3rd party link is an add-on module that exports an intelligent design created in EPD by using the design process from one of our Designer Suites. After the layout has been created from scratch or re-intelligized from DXF/DWG files, setup and export the DSN and DO files and start Specctra. After routing is complete, traces, vias, and test points are imported back into EPD for examination and modifications.
* All autorouter settings can be made in the design layout
* Preroutes can be sent to the autorouter
* Keepouts and Fences can be sent to the autorouter
* Unlimited split plane Autorouting capability
* Detailed hierarchical rules settings
* Autorouter starts from the layout GUI
* Setup keep outs, split planes and other features In EPD before export.
* Many rules are fed from the CDS layout directly into the Specctra interface.
* Detailed hierarchical rules may be configured globally, by layer, class, class/layer, net, net/layer, region or between classes.
Imports Altium Designer® design and parts into the EPD design environment. This will require a *.PCBDOC file that has been exported from Altium Designer®
* Ideal for continued design modifications in the EPD platform
* Save new and existing parts to libraries and use in EPD designs.
Quick Overview of Process:
* In Altium with design:
* Pick Export>Altium.
* Save the *.PCBDOC file to a location.
* Next the file may be imported to EPD.
* Import *.PCBDOC file into EPD
* Start the Altium2EPD command and a File Finder browser window will appear.
* Locate the *.pcbdoc file to convert and press Open.
The process could run for several moments depending on the file size to convert. Once Complete, the drawing data will be in the EPD design environment and ready to be used and saved to libraries, etc.